Mitigate the Effects of Climate Change
What are you doing to address emissions associated with transportation?
- Never air freight to major markets or overseas
Are you using or transitioning to renewable energy sources?
Yes, using and increasing
What renewable energy resources are you switching to?
Supports Global Ecosystems and Coexists with Wildlife
What measures do you put in place to limit entanglement or impact on wildlife?
- Land based RAS – zero entanglement
How does your operation impact the local natural environment?
- Improve biodiversity
- Actively create habitat
- Mitigate erosion
Do you support or lead any habitat or ecosystem restoration projects?
Yes. Restoring 800 acres; native plant restoration, building soil, restore stream bank to improve water quality
What following measures do you have in place to prevent escapes?
No salmon can escape to surface waters as Superior Fresh has zero discharge from production systems. Three screens are in place between all finishing tanks and discharge to surface water.
What sustainable feed models/practices do you use?
- Fish meal/oil sourced from trimmings from certified wild fisheries
- Certified Organic Feed (Can. or EU)
- Feed is certified non-GMO
Positively impacts water resources and nutrient cycles
How do you prevent/minimize fish waste (nutrients) from accumulating and being lost to the environment?
- Monitor nitrogen and phosphorous levels
- Remove fish waste from water
- Reuse waste as soil amendments (compost/fertilizer)
- Grow food onsite using “waste” and/or captured nutrients
- Site placement and effluence
- Other: Superior Fresh has zero wastewater discharge from production systems; spill from all salmon production systems is irrigated on native grasses and alafalfa. Superior Fresh produces close to 5 pounds of human food (salmon and leafy greens) for every pound of feed fed to the salmon.
Promotes a healthy and safe growing environment for a safe food source
Do you reguarly test for contaminants?
Do test results reflect safe and healthy levels of contaminants?
- Low/neglible PCBs
- Low/negligible Heavy Metals
- Low Mercury levels <0.15 µg/g
What pest/disease management practices do you use to maintain a healthy environment?
- Never feed anti-microbial or anti-parasitic medications
- pathogen free stock
Advances animal welfare
What feed practices are in place to improve fish welfare?
- Appropriate feed for fish
- Regular feeding schedule
What environmental conditions do you enable for fish well-being?
- Optimized density based on species and life stage
- Color of tank appropriate for species
- Access to enough sunlight and shade
- Provide optimal water temperature
What monitoring practices do you use to ensure fish health and welfare?
- Nutrient/water quality monitoring
- Daily visual monitoring
Do you use humane harvesting techniques (stun before slaughter, reduce time between stunning and slaughtering)?
Enhances Flavor and Nutrition
Please select the nutrient characteristics of your fish.
- High in omega 3s
- High or improving ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6
- Source of minerals
- Source of vitamins
- High protein
- Low Saturated Fat
Values of Omega 3, Omega 6, Protein, or other
- The 2019 samples of Atlantic salmon fillets from Superior Fresh contained 2367 mg of DHA + EPA and a total of 3230 mg of omega 3 fatty acids per 100 g serving (wet weight; ww). 100 g = 3.5 oz
- The 2020 samples of Atlantic salmon fillets from Superior Fresh contained 2140 mg of DHA + EPA and a total of 2900 mg of omega 3 fatty acids per 100 g serving (ww).
- The ratio of omega 3 : omega 6 fatty acids (anti-inflammatory : inflammatory) was 5:1 or greater both years tested.
What handling measures do you take to preserve texture, flavor, and nutrition?
- Frozen at peak freshness
- Other: Nearly all salmon are sold fresh, never frozen. Those fillets that are frozen are frozen at peak freshness. In addition, a quality stabilization sequence is used at harvest that begins with unstressed fish that are humanely slaughtered, exsanguinated, and finally, rapidly cooled, all according to strict protocols. The components and order of this sequence are research-based and specifically designed to mitigate the negative biochemical and physiological effects of a fish’s death and subsequent deterioration thereafter. The quality stabilization sequence enables us to ensure that the processes remains humane, but also that we take the steps necessary to optimize the shelf-stability and eating quality of the salmon.
Culinary/cooking characteristics of your fish
Treats workers with respect and fairness; Advances gender equality and women’s empowerment
Do you have a policy to protect workers from bonded or forced labor, trafficking, or child labor?
Do you provide health care or equivalent?
Yes and offer other benefits.
Please check all that describe your working conditions and workplace expectations
- Pay Fair & competitive wages
- Conduct Workplace hazard and safety analysis/audit
- Workplace Trainings (safety, environmental, or social)
- Established Grievance Process
- Allow/do not inhibit Collective Bargaining
How do you further gender equality and women’s empowerment?
- Ensure pay equity
- Equal Opportunity hiring and access to advancement or leadership positions
- Sufficient Maternity/Paternity Leave
Do you engage in mentorship?
Builds resilience and opportunity in local communities
Do you work with, employ, or buy from small holder farmers?
Do you support education or job training programs?
- We provide or lend resources to occupational training programs
How do you assess and improve your community engagement and impact?
- Work with and/or educate regulators and policy makers
Do you share or loan equipment with members of your community?
Preserves the quality and story of the product throughout the supply chain
What parts of the product’s identity are preserved and included in the final product branding?
- Face (the people who grow the food)
- Place (where it is grown)
- Practices (production method/processing)
What traceability measures are in place to ensure quality and provide full transparency to buyers and consumers?
- System allows transparency – key data and documentation can flow between steps/actors of the supply chain
- Lot Coding
- Vertically Integrated
- QR codes on packaging
- Work with partners who have shared traceability goals and/or systems
Creates co-products beyond seafood
Do you produce and sell non-seafood products?
- Soil amendments (Fertilizer, Compost)
- Produce (i.e. aquaponics)